Sunday, May 5, 2013

Chapter 3: The Trial:

-->
 3rd July 1834.
After about a month in that awful gaol I was led into the dock of the Old Bailey courthouse. I sat there scarred stiff and when my name was called out I could hardly stand for I was shaking so much.
“ Benjamin Joyce is here by changed with Theft, simple larceny,for stealing two pair of shoes on the on the 7th of June in the year of our lord 1834” said the court clerk
“How do you Plea”
“Not guilty” I wimped


 “ I now call the first witness Constable Richard Jones”.
“State you name and what you know about the prisoner” I heard someone say
“My name is Richard Jones police constable.
I fell in with the prisoner, in Shoreditch, on the 7th of June - he was carrying two pair of shoes in a bundle - I asked him what he had - he said, "Nothing" - I found the shoes in it, and then he said another boy gave him them to carry - there was another boy with him, who went away - he was about five minutes' walk from the prosecutor's.”
“Did you find any other boy Constable” “no I didn’t your Worship” 
“But there was” I said to myself but know one wanted to here my side of the story.

“Next witness is William Blackmore what do you know about this crime.”
“My Name is William Blackmore I am in the service of Mr James Augustus Whiskard, who lives in Bishopsgate Street, these shoes were taken from his door, I did not miss them till the officer brought them in to me.”
Then before I knew what was happening and not even asked my version I heard someone say “ You have been found guilty’ of simple larceny and the sentence is transportation to Australia for Seven Years”.
And with that I was led away from the dock, and taken back to prison, I was not even aloud to say goodbye to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment