Monday, May 6, 2013

Chapter 5: Transportation

-->


On 31st August1935 I was told to pack up what little possession I had, and with many others boys who were with me on the Euryalus, I was transferred to the “John Barry” for transportation to Port Jackson on the other side of the world, about 14000 miles away from my family who I knew I would never see again.
Many other males from other hulks were also transferred to this ship so it took a few months before we were on our way     
 The John Barry departed Torbay on 21 September 1835 with me and 320 other male prisoners on board.
When the ship was out on the high it was very squally at first and most of us were very seasick. I had never been so sick in my life before and at the time I was wishing it was over, I soon acquired my sea legs, I started work in with the other convicts on-board. 
We were very fortunate to have a very good Surgeon on board with us. He was a well-experienced Surgeon Superintendent this being his sixth voyage and he recognised the benefits of exercise as well as cleanliness. He insisted on co-operation between the prisoners and enforced a strict obedience to a routine that he had found earlier to be of advantage.                                                                     
 We were put into seven groups, so every seven days the group I was in had to be on deck at daylight, without shoes or stockings, for the purpose of exercise in washing decks and filling the bathtub and buckets for our own use, and the for use of everyone else who followed after us, so that by seven o'clock we had all washed. After breakfast we had to bare our arms and legs to be examined for any infections. Our blankets and pillows were also inspected and aired once a week. We also took turns cleaning below deck as well.    
We made a couple of ports of call to take in fresh food and water so in all we were looked after pretty well, not like some other convict ships I had been told about.        
 When we were just off the Canary Islands we were struck by a sudden storm, which threw the boat up onto the beams end and drove us ashore, nearly on to the rocks. The ship righted it self but the topmast broke and the jib was in taters. We convicts down below were sure the boat was going to sink and we all went into a panic, some even tried to break open the hatches but with no avail. After what seemed like hours the storm abated and with the little sail that was left the crew was able to steer the boat back to safer waters.                                                                            
 We were very lucky to have two good carpenters on board, and plenty of spars; in two days the whole mask was repaired and we were on our way heading for the new land.                                     
 The John Barry arrived in Sydney on 17 January 1836 with 318 male prisoners on board only two of my fellow convict had died on the voyage.                                                               
    We were all ordered to get ready to disembark and as I was leaving the ship I though to myself, “What is going to happen to
me now”.

No comments:

Post a Comment